Hydrotherapy in conjunction with veterinary treatment can significantly improve the quality and rate of healing following surgery or traumatic injury. In these cases the appropriate use of hydrotherapy can help with rehabilitation and increase the chance of a successful return to full fitness. Hydrotherapy is also beneficial in young growing dogs diagnosed with developmental conditions.
Hydrotherapy has specific therapeutic effects on body tissues
• Relief of pain, swelling & stiffness
• Muscle strengthening and maintenance.
• Alleviating muscle spasm.
• Increased range of motion in joints
• Improved circulation
• Cardiovascular fitness (heart & lungs)
• Increased tissue healing
• Increased speed of recovery
• Gait modification
• Increased proprioception
• Increased core strength
Hydrotherpy has a whole variety of uses including:
- Pre-operative conditions such as muscle building and toning, prior to surgery.
- Post-operative rehabilitation for multitude of conditions, common examples include: cruciate repair, ocd, hip and elbow dysplasia.
- Treatment can also benefit in cases of arthiritis, nerve damage, muscle, tendon and ligament injuries.
- Obesity, the non weight bearing, non impact nature of the work in the pool is more gentle to joints and muscles than land based exercise.
if you would like to know if your dog could benefit from hydrotherapy treatment, either speak with your vetinary surgeon or contact Smarter Pets